Monday, December 20, 2010

quenching my thirst

There are earthly things that we can indulge in that will actually dull our hunger for the things of God. Indulging in lust hinders our hunger for true intimacy, for example.

There was a pastor who visited our church this summer, and he claimed that the Bride is drinking (alcohol) in excess. That there is a rise in drinking in these times. I know it's true. Makes me wonder why we're drinking. Twice now I have gotten really drunk, and truly I can't understand why, because it's not a desire of mine. Also, it wasn't a desire in the moment or a concrete conscious decision. I guess there will be skeptics reading this, but I'm trying to be as honest as I can. Both nights were so much fun; something that we've been lacking in these recent years. Both nights included much fellowship and laughing; again something that has been lacking in the recent years.

Are we that dry in the Spirit that we are turning to the counterfeit? There has been much said about "the new wine", but there are so many of us who are asking "how much longer Lord?" I so desire the fun, the laughing, the fellowship, and the sharing.

Can drinking alcohol in excess actually dull my desire for the "New Wine"? Could that be the strategy of the enemy at this time? Are we giving up on the Promises of God? Even just a little? Are we settling for something less?

I know I'm sick of waiting, but I will wait longer, and I will be more careful not to dull my desire along the way. He will Come!

______________________________________

I want to add this because it's really important. I didn't encounter condemnation, guilt, or shame after my decision. God is so loving; He's actually teaching me through these things. I'm not beating myself up, but I'm not being naive either. The hangover is proof enough; that much alcohol is not good for me! LOL "

No comments:

Post a Comment